Tena koutou! Greetings to all!
"Abreast of Life" is a group of breast cancer survivors living in Christchurch, New Zealand..
And we paddle a dragon boat!
We took up the challenge from a visiting group of Canadian breast cancer survivors back in 1999 to form a team to race dragon boats.
We come from all walks of life, we're all different shapes and sizes, we range in age from early 30s to late 70s. The one thing we all have in common, and which bonds us in a very special way, is a diagnosis of and treatment for breast cancer.
Having stared the beast in the face, and won, we want to show other women facing this frightening diagnosis that there is light at the end of the tunnel and active life after treatment.
We want to raise general awareness about breast cancer, act as a reminder to have regular breast examinations and mammograms, and serve as an inspiration to all women that yes, we can do anything, and that illness or age need not be a barrier to having a go and, most importantly, having fun, which we most surely do!
Click here to read our introductory booklet.
Kia Whakatane au i ahau
- Paddle our best and spread awareness
- Honour the memory of those lost
- Hope and inspiration at all times
- Commit to a cure
- Provide support and fellowship to team members.
- Promote fitness, wellness, camaraderie and fun, which will enhance physical, emotional, spiritual; and social well-being and increase self-esteem.
- Remember and honour those we have lost.
- Offer hope and inspiration to women faced with a diagnosis of breast cancer by demonstrating the overwhelming benefits of rehabilitation and recreational exercise.
- Support breast cancer research, local care facilities and encourage the pursuit of a cure.